Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Getting Focused

I can’t seem to separate what I want to do on my personal computer at home (download songs and stuff, read other people’s blogs, play around over on IMDb, and now IM my sister- thanks C) and what I need to do for school. Obviously, given a choice I’m gonna keep going back to the fun things mentioned above. I have to go to my office or to the computer lab at school (where I am now) to keep myself on track. I’m blogging as a break.

I can’t go to my office during the day because there are a bunch of undergrad and master students (guys) in my office all day long. They’re totally cool kids, but they're usually at my desk or have my chair (which pisses me off) and the undergrad talks my ear off and I end up helping him look up answers for his class (which is of my own busybody doing). The other doctoral students and professors end up talking for long periods of time, which is fun, but I might as well be at home doing nothing than doing nothing there.

Pretty funny story about our ability to gab and gab in the hallway and/or office: Not too long ago we were having a big gab fest in one of the offices and this chick from another department was having class at the end of the hall and didn’t shut her door.

First of all, shut your door in a heavily populated area. Second of all, don’t choose a heavily populated area. I don’t think anyone is actually assigned that room because it's so obscure.

Well, she got mad because we were “loud” although we weren’t particularly loud, and she made the big “SHHH!!” sound. I then, being the smart ass I can be, made a comment to someone who was just walking up be quiet or that chick was gonna do something about it. She then got up and came down to the door and looked at the name on the door.

I said, “Is there a problem?” To which she said, “You’re being loud,” and then asked what department we were in. Then I said, “Well, ya got a door.” To which she replied, “Well, so do you.” I wasn’t too worried. One of the most respected tenured and well-published faculty members was among our gabbers and she was more pissed than was I.

Then, my friend who had just defended her dissertation successfully came running from the stairway (which is right beside that chick's classroom) down to where we were yelling out of excitement. I’d say that topped it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home