Monday, March 07, 2005

Asking the Important Questions

This discussion stemmed from a conversation about a guy we went to high school with who read Harry Potter all through high school and college. We were, at first, kind of making fun of him, but being a strong supporter of the series myself, I recognized my hypocrisy. Anyway, the conversation took a turn, so to "Friend" if you're ever reading, thanks for the conversation, and sorry if I fucked with your head.

M= me
F= "Friend"

M: Well actually, I think the Harry Potter series is an excellent work of fiction.
F: I just don't have much time to read anything other than trying to make time to read the Bible to my kids.
M: Well, the Bible is actually another great work of fiction.
F: Oh no! Don't tell me you don't believe the Bible. Well...you know, it does have so many contradictions.
M: That's because it was written by men who were fallible. Look, I'm not saying that I don't love Jesus or that I don't believe in God. I just may be a little closer right now to agnostic. I used to think agnostic and atheist were the same.
F: What is the difference anyway?
M: Many agnostics believe there may be a higher being but they aren't sure of the specifics, where an atheist doesn't believe a higher being exists at all. (disclaimer for ignorance...comments welcome)
F: I just get upset that every time I want to "do right" and agree to teach Sunday school at church, the preacher makes me mad by pushing his own personal beliefs about things on me.
M: That's legalistic. Here's what I'm saying- If there's a God, I just can't believe that He's someone who wants us to feel bad all of the time. I think He'd want us to act responsibly and I believe He set things up in this world to where there are natural consequences for negative behaviors. But, people are hurting other people in the name of their own beliefs. And, how can we be so egotistical as to think that out of all the many, many different beliefs in the world that ours is the one and only way?

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM , Blogger Justynn Tyme said...

Well, as there is a multitude of varities in minerals, animals and plant life. There is a multitude of spiritual and religious paths to choose from. As long as it is positive based its worth looking into.

replying to your comment:
No, I don't get that many comments but all the more to appreciated the few I do get; like yours.

Share the creative wealth? what did you have in mind?

No. I don't think everyone is creative but everyone doesn't have to be... we lack art appreciation in the states.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home