Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Conservative 10 Year-Old Sister

me: Wanna listen to some Martha Wainwright?

her: Who's Martha Wainwright?

me: My favorite singer.

her: Never heard of her. (pause) My favorite singer is the woman who sings "Jesus Take the Wheel."





It isn't her fault, really. In fact, it's partly mine. For whatever reason, the kid loves me, and I haven't made the time to spend enough q.t. with her. It was only about a year and a half ago that she asked me what "drunk" meant. She lives in a bubble of ignorance, and I really must take more responsibility for pulling her out of it.

She's going to school with me tomorrow. She's the same age as the kids in my class, and we're going on a field trip to see "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." This will be her first time stepping foot in a public school. She's nervous as hell. I can't say I blame her. Everything the kid has learned, she's learned from television. I've told her to relax and that it'll be a great experience for her. Say a prayer for her. She'll be thankful you did.

3 Comments:

At 12:30 PM , Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

that's adorable.

i will think good thoughts for her all day.

 
At 6:50 AM , Blogger Marti said...

Wow - what a sheltered life. I hope she survives (lol)

Stopping by everyone on my blogroll.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and a glorious New Year!

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I can't wait to hear all about it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home