Thursday, April 28, 2005

Bush on Faith in Politics

In President Bush's Special Report today (transcripts), he addressed the issue of Social Security then opened up for questions on other issues. He was asked about filibustering and his personal view on the relationship between religion and politics. The reporter had to ask the question three times because Bush kept pussying out on a straight answer.

I'm sure he doesn't want to loose the support of those crusaders out there who feel he's on their side. At the same time, of course, he can't announce in a Special Report that the best way to run America is to appoint Christians (the only ones with morals *sarcasm*).

His final response was that he felt religion was a personal matter and that he wouldn't discriminate on the basis of religion or lack of. I want to believe him. I want to believe him.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 AM , Blogger mkfreeberg said...

I'm going to have to confess if I was the President, the reporter would have to ask me the same question a few times too.

And I wonder whether you believe that, in fact, that is what is nominating Democrats who oppose your judicial choices. And I wonder what you think, generally, about the role that faith is playing, how it's being used in our political debates right now.

The verb "nominating" doesn't make any sense in that sentence. I got a gut feel the word is "motivating" and it was transcribed wrong.

The transcription appears to indicate the President botched the question by interpreting it as "do you think faith is an issue when your nominees are opposed in Congress". Like I said, I would have made the same mistake; seems like a fair way to interpret the question.

Did you read something somewhere that indicates the President thinks Christians are the only people with morals?

 
At 3:55 AM , Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

no, i have nothing to back up that statement. that's why it's an opinion. :/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home