Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Oppressed Christians?

O.k., I know this isn't a popular opinion, especially among the liberal family, of which I consider myself a member (metaphorical not the hyper-conservative family I was born into), but I've hung out enough in the virtual playground of cyberspace enough to see some grossly inappropriate hating of Christians in general. I'm sadly aware of the bigotry that often radiates from the very beings of many "Christians" now and throughout the history of Christianity. There are many Christians, however, who have peacefully chosen Christianity as their faith and want to join others in making the world a better place.

What pisses me off is when people think that they have the right to bash someone solely based on the fact that she/he is a Christian. This is happening far too often.

The following is a case in point (although only one of the many I have encountered and happens to be the most recent). I tuned in (by complete chance) to watch an episode of I Married a Princess to see that they filmed a short segment from the family's church and a segment where Casper Van Dien prayed with his son. When I checked the IMDb message board for the show (as I do for everything I watch), not only did I find out that Casper Van Dien is dorky enough to be a regular poster on IMDb, but I also found this fabulously hideous post:


View: thread flat inline nest
eeeewww Christians!!!

by - jessica_rabit99 (Mon Apr 18 2005 17:26:12 )
Ignore this User Report Abuse

How unsexy. They live in the most sinful state, work in the most un-Christian industry, probably associate with the most ungodly of ppl & yet they are here flaunting their going to church & making their kids pray (which I am against)! This is so wrong. I thought Casper was sexy (only reason I would watch the show) & now I am so turned off by this ACT they are obviously playing to make them feel 'normal'. If you have to have religion to keep your family together, then there's not much to this family in the way of real bonding. If this is how Casper thinks he will 'revive' a B-career, then it's so sad. He was better off being mysterious & not flaunting his family life.


My response:


Re: eeeewww Christians!!!

by - GrandPooOfAwesome 1 day ago (Mon Apr 25 2005 15:16:16 )


UPDATED Tue Apr 26 2005 13:57:31
Wow, what a pompous and overtly ignorant *beep* I don't throw out criticisms lightly, and in fact it's against my posting creed, but this poster is screaming for one.


You are (seemingly) pompous for thinking you're opinions are absolute. "This is so wrong." Who are you to say what's "wrong"?

You are (seemingly) overtly ignorant to have said, "If you have to have religion to keep your family together, then there's not much to this family in the way of real bonding." Again, who are you to say that praying with your family is a sign of weakness? Most of the families I know who pray together have been very strong and close.

I'm SO tired of people coming on here and posting negative remarks about Christians. I'm equally tired of seeing "Christians" come on here and spew out bigotry. However, it's the former who seem to think it's o.k. to take a stand for every other religion or lack of (as I will take a stand for them too), but too many people think it's o.k. to treat Christians as if they're disgusting.

Is it really "hip" to Christian bash? It's not until we truly recognize and celebrate differences and respect others for them regardless of how closely we relate to them ourselves that we will be able to be a better race. http://www.one.org/

This isn't an unusual occurrence. People post this shit all the time, and I'm sick of it!

That said, Christians need to keep their fucking mouths out of politics, which leads me to the next post.

1 Comments:

At 5:33 AM , Blogger mkfreeberg said...

Kudos to you for noticing what should be obvious to everyone.

Granting jessica-rabit the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she's had some run-ins with Christians which I know can be pretty frustrating. Her mistake is in thinking if you pick the right religion, you can avoid bigotry in all its forms without keeping your mind necessarily open -- in her case, the religion she has picked is secularist.

I'll just go ahead and state the obvious here. jessica_rabit makes Christian-bashers look bad. Christian-bashing is supposed to be all about avoiding bigotry & intolerance, assuming there can be an up-side to it at all, and it certainly isn't tolerant to decide someone is unsexy because of their religion.

Shoot, I don't agree with Alyssa Milano's politics, and I think she's sexy as hell.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home