Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Uneventful Morn

But still I've managed to experience a range of (small) emotions.

Luckily, and thanks to NPR, I started out in a good mood. When my alarm went off, they were mentioning Russian President Vladimir Putin's trip to Egypt, and because I am obviously very immature, I laugh every time they say Putin. I actually clapped and squealed.

Then, I got a phone call from a student. Yuck. Here's how the conversation went: (insert my thoughts)

Student: Ms. (Me)?
Me: yes?
Student: This is SoandSo who you were going to come and observe today.
Me: yes, hello.
Student: I just got to my school and found out they were going on a field trip. (Can we say poor planning?)
Me: Um, o.k.
Student: And I don't know what you want me to do.
Me: Well, I guess you need to find another time this week you can do your practicum hours and lesson. (It's only 2 hours)
Student: I don't have any other time this week and this is my last day of practicum. (Then how about not waiting until the last week of the semester?)
Me: Um, o.k., were you planning on going on the field trip?
Student: Yes, I told them I would. Do you actually need to observe me do my lesson?
Me: No, but you do actually have to do the lesson.
Student: I've already done one.
Me: Yes, and you're supposed to do two.
Student: silence
Me: I don't really know what to tell you right now. I need to think it through, but I'll probably have to dock you points. I can't give you full credit if you aren't conducting the second lesson.
Student: I can probably find some other time this week.
Me: (Of course you can.) If you're going on the field trip, you will just need to find about 30 minutes to come in and conduct your lesson. (It's CDC with one child, so it would be a very short lesson.)
Me: Sorry
Student: It's o.k. It's just miscommunication. (Um...No. No miscommunication. You were specifically told to plan and conduct two lessons. But too tired and too early to say this.)
Student: Sorry it's so early.
Me: No, no. Anytime.

I mean seriously. She honestly thought I would just say, "Never mind the second lesson. You didn't know they were going on a field trip. I'll just give you credit anyway."

Well there are many worse things college students do and say. This one just happened to rub the wrong way.

Other than that, I've given the easiest final exam ever this morning and said goodbye to one of my classes.

Welcome summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home