Sunday, July 29, 2007

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man



If you have On Demand and the Sundance channel [and if you don't you should] you can watch the documentary film [Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man] until Tuesday. It's fair to say that this film made me weep tears of joy. It was similar to when I watched Scorsese's [The Last Waltz]. I feel somewhat cheated that I didn't grow up listening to this music, but also very grateful to be able to invite it into my world today. This film is amazing, because you can see, hear, and feel how much these artist [who happen to be a collection of my favorites...a dreamteam of musicians] have been affected by Leonard Cohen's music and poetry. When they sing his songs, they give them their own interpretations but it's still manage to completely capture Leonard's message in the song. It's absolutely bloody amazing. If you can see the whole film start to end, do, but if not, try to catch what you can on-line, or better yet buy the [dvd].

Here's Martha singing one of my favorite LC songs "The Traitor."



And Antony of Antony & the Johnsons singing "If It Be Your Will." Antony's voice makes me want to cry in a good way...you know, like watching a good crying movie. I always listen to him when I'm feeling melancholy. He's beautiful...like a beautiful sadness.



And, of course, Rufus singing "Chelsea Hotel"...one of Cohen's most wonderful songs.

3 Comments:

At 1:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey grandpoo, can you enable your rss feed? i think for blogger it's called an atom feed. thanks!!

 
At 9:03 AM , Blogger Shaketownman said...

I saw Cohen in 1984 in Brussels.
I Love him!

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

sockparade, I'll try [although shamefully, I don't know what that means].

frog, I'm terribly jealous. You have the best taste in music.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home